Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for IMSD:
- Be a full-time student at the University of New Mexico-Main Campus
- Target GPA of 3.0 and above, others considered on a case-by-case basis
- Be two years away from graduation
- Commitment to pursuing a Ph.D. in a biomedical research field
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have completed at least the first two years (60 cr/hrs) of the curriculum leading to a B.S. degree in the "hard sciences" (e.g., Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, etc.)
- Have a commitment to increasing the diversity within the scientific workforce.
The IMSD program requires the following activities of all students:
- Presentation of research at laboratory meetings and at one national (SACNAS National Conference in October) and two local meetings (Biology Research Day in late Spring, Biomedical Research Symposium in early August) per year.
- Working in the research laboratory 15 hours per week during the academic year and at least 30 hours per week in the summer and over academic breaks.
- Reading, discussion, and presentation of scientific papers, analysis of laboratory results in consultation with a mentor, and contribution to writing at least one scientific paper.
- Completion of a GRE-preparatory class provided by IMSD and taking the general GRE.
- Preparation, together with IMSD staff, of applications to graduate school.
- Attending one IMSD-sponsored seminar per semester.
- Compliance with all policies outlined in the UNM Student Employee Handbook.
How to Apply
- You need two letters of recommendation to apply to IMSD. These letters should be from faculty members, teaching assistants, or employers. You may use this form when requesting a letter of recommendation.
- You need your current resume, detailing your education, employment experience, and other accomplishments.
- You need a cover letter (letter of intent), explaining why you are applying to the IMSD program. Your letter should explain any special qualifications that make you particularly suited for the IMSD program.
To apply to the IMSD Program, you must use the UNM JOBS webpage.
For further assistance, contact Lupe Atencio, IMSD Program Manager, at (505) 277-3609, IMSD@unm.edu, or stop by Castetter Hall room 209.
Your completed application must have:
- On-line Application (uploaded to the UNM Jobs website)
- Cover Letter (uploaded with your application on the UNM Jobs website)
- Resume (uploaded with your application on the UNM Jobs website)
- Two Letters of Reference (from faculty members, teaching assistants, or employers)
- Transcripts (unofficial)
Applications are not reviewed until all of the above documents have been submitted. Applicants must follow all instructions noted under How to Apply as well as the "Job Details" listed on the UNM Jobs website.
Application materials not uploaded to UNM Jobs should be sent to Lupe Atencio (IMSD@unm.edu), Program Manager, Department of Biology UNM-IMSD, MSC03 2020, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001. Letters of recommendation must be in sealed envelopes with the author's signature across the sealed flap.